melissawiebe1

Melissa Wiebe's Blogs

Love reading and things associated with books.

Under the Wide and Starry Sky
Nancy Horan
The Word Exchange
Alena Graedon
The Invention of Wings: A Novel (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Sue Monk Kidd
A.S. Byatt
The Count of Monte Cristo
Alexandre Dumas, Robin Buss
Labor Day: A Novel - Joyce Maynard

First heard about the book in the lead-up to the movie being released this past winter and hence why I requested the book.  I haven't seen the movie, so I can't attest to how accurate the adaptation is as this isn't a review of the movie.  While the book was at least for me a decent read, it wasn't a read that was memorable for me.  I realize that this is clearly meant for readers that enjoy this sort of a read, not for those that like something that allows one to think more deeply.

The book is well written, but didn't satisfy me as a reader, in that while Ms. Maynard gives very vivid descriptions of one weekend (a memorable one at that) of a 13 year-old boy, the story falls flat, especially in the last third, where it seems as though she wanted to tie the story up into a nice package that clearly was aimed to those that like endings that aren't for the most part, ambiguous.  Personally I would have liked the story to end on an ambiguous note and let the reader to decide as to what the ending of the book was to be, rather than have the ending decided for me, unless of course I happen to love the book.

Source: http://jaynesbooks.blogspot.ca/2014/04/labor-day-joyce-maynard.html